What is an SQDCM Board, and what are best practices, tools and online templates for teams and organizations?
Definition of SQDCM Board
An SQDCM Board is a bulletin board hung in a process or production area which quickly conveys how manufacturing is performing in five key areas. Specifically, they are Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost and Morale. Metrics and results for each category are shown below each letter in the SQDCM acronym and updated each day.
Description of SQDCM Boards
Determining the right metrics for each section of the board is an important first step. While every organization with have different standards surrounding SQDCM, the following are examples of measurements to track in each category:
- Safety should always come first, and could show near misses, safety violations, missed work due to injuries, and unsafe work practices observed.
- Quality metrics can include the number of product defects found in a day or returns due to poor manufacturing quality.
- Delivery measurements would include On-time shipments to customers or the number of shipments made per day versus the goal.
- Cost is related to metrics surrounding waste and leftover raw materials, overtime costs and late fees
- Morale is more difficult to ascertain, but can be measured with employee engagement surveys, turnover rates, years of service averages and levels of absenteeism.
Daily, weekly or monthly goals can be established for each category in the SQDCM Board and if the teams meet their goals then the category is marked green for that time period. If not, it is marked red. When management comes through on a Gemba Walk, they can instantly see where the facility stands by reading the board.
Tools & Templates
The tools managers can use to guide their teams through the steps for creating and using SQDCM Boards include creating visual presentations, spreadsheets, and documents, and then using these for regular reviews of progress.
upBOARD's Online SQDCM Board Tools & Templates
Unlike most traditional SQDCM Board processes, upBOARD’s online SQDCM Board tools allow any team or organization to instantly begin working with our web templates and input forms. Our digital platform goes far beyond other software tools by including progress dashboards, data integration from existing documents or other SaaS software, elegant intuitive designs, and full access on any desktop or mobile device.
Learn more about upBOARD’s portfolio of other operations best practice tools and templates, including:
5 S System, Brainstorming, Business Process Re-engineering, Gemba Walk, House of Lean, House of Quality, Huddle Boards, Just in Time (JIT), Kaizen, Kanban Boards, Key Performance Indicators, Leading and Lagging Indicators, Lean Manufacturing, Objectives & Key Results, Operational Performance Management, Outsourcing Decision-Matrix, Performance-Based Budgeting, QDIP Board, RATER Model, Six Sigma, SQDC Board, SQDCM Board, Supplier Relationship Management (SRM), Theory of Constraints (TOC), Total Quality Management (TQM), Value Stream Mapping, and Zero Defects.