Software Engineering Tools are used to create disciplined software development and include software tools such as version control, coding standards, static code analysis, code reviews, bug tracking, continuous automated build processes, and automated testing.
What are Software Engineering Tools, and what are best practices, tools and templates for teams and organizations?
Definition of Software Engineering Tools
Description of Software Engineering Tools
There are many tools available to help software developers and development teams manage their software engineering process. The following is an overview of some of the most widely used software engineering tools:
- Version Control helps teams organize and maintain their code, keeping a history of changes that have been checked in, and allowing many engineers to work in the code effectively.
- Coding Standards help with code readability, and consistency, as well as helping to avoid common performance and language feature related bugs.
- Static Code Analysis is most valuable when used in an automated system to catch and fix bugs like uninitialized variables.
- Code Reviews improve code quality and reduce bugs, and having a tool to help makes the process less cumbersome and time consuming for the team.
- Bug Tracking allows product owners to prioritize fixes and determine which ones can be shipped.
- Continuous Automated Builds and Testing ensure that development teams do not need to wade through code submissions to find compile errors or merge problems, and automated testing can catch bugs without human intervention.
Some of the most popular software engineering tools include:
- Version Control: Perforce, GitHub, GitLab
- Static Code Analysis: Visual Studio Metrics, SonarQube, CPP Check
- Code Reviews: Swarm for Perforce, GitHub, GitLab
- Bug Tracking: Jira
- Continuous Automated Builds and Testing: Jenkins
Tools & Templates
Software Engineering Tools and templates include many kinds of charting software, spreadsheets, or simply a long, horizontal paper which can be drawn on and updated for each of the stages.
upBOARD's Software Engineering Tools & Templates
Unlike most traditional Software Engineering Tools, upBOARD’s online cloud-based software engineering collaboration tools allow any development team or software organization to instantly begin working with our web templates and input forms. Our digital platform goes far beyond other software tools by including progress dashboards, data integration from JIRA and other SaaS software, elegant intuitive designs, and full access on any desktop or mobile device.