Change Management is the process of creating a plan for preparing and supporting employees and teams through organizational change, including the process of rolling out the change. As a business process, Change Management often includes redirecting the use of resources, re-engineering processes, creating new organizational structures, and reallocating budgets to better support the future direction of the organization.
What is Change Management, and what are best practices, tools and templates for teams and organizations?
Definition of Change Management
Description of Change Management
The objective of Change Management is to maximize the collective efforts of all people involved in an organizational change and minimize the risk of failure of implementing the desired change. In order for change within an organization to be successful, the following guidelines apply:
- Define measurable goals and continually update them
- Monitor assumptions, risks, dependencies, costs, and social issues
- Effectively communicate the reason for the change to stakeholders and those affected by the change
- Create a beneficial training and education program that aligns employees’ skills to the changes being made
- Address resistance to change from employees and help align them to the overall strategic direction of the organization
- Provide personal counseling or training as needed to relieve stress and anxiety related to the change
- Closely monitor the implementation of the change and adjust as necessary
Organizational change typically affects all departments and employees since all organizations are human systems with interdependencies and a shared culture. Therefore, successful Change Management is of utmost importance in order to maintain employee morale and ensure long-term business.
Tools & Templates
Specific tools used in Change Management include change plans, performance metrics, employee engagement strategies, communication plans, pulse surveys, leadership commitment and communication effectiveness, and project management.
upBOARD's Online Change Management Tools & Templates
upBOARD’s online Change Management collaboration tools allow any team or organization to instantly begin working with our web templates and input forms. Our digital platform goes far beyond other software tools by including progress dashboards, data integration from existing documents or other SaaS software, elegant intuitive designs, and full access on any desktop or mobile device.
Learn more about upBOARD’s portfolio of other human resources best practice tools and templates including: Career Planning, Change Management, Executive Coaching, Communication Management, Competency-Based Interviewing, Critical Incidents, Delphi Method, Employee Engagement Surveys, Job Analysis, Job Description, Mentoring, Performance Management, RACI, Resource Breakdown Structures (RBS), Retirement Index, Stakeholder Analysis, Workday Task Analysis